Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Playing with fire

If any of you didn't know, my father is a professional pyrotechnic. He has been doing fireworks shows for several years. I always loved going to his fireworks shows, and I still do. Cora has been to two of them this year, and she absolutely loved it. One of the perks of the job is just about always having fireworks at home. This shot is of Cora, my two sisters, and my brother. My dad lit some sparklers and stuck them in the ground so they could all watch.

He recently quit his job to do special effects for movies. He's worked on 27 Dresses, Evening, 21, and a bunch of movies that haven't come out yet, like The Proposal, Surrogates, The Telltale Heart, and some other movies with pretty high profile actors in them. He does explosions, fireworks, gunshots, rain, snow, things like that. It's actually pretty cool. My mom was so worried about my dad quitting his regular job, but she trusted the Lord to provide, and He has. My dad worked a job he really didn't like for most of his life, and now he is finally doing something he loves. It always helps that he makes more in a couple days than he would in an entire month at his last job.
Anyway, we are so glad to be home after our long weekend trip. The house is clean and everything is unpacked. Tomorrow Justin and I are going to try to go on a 'date' to the movies. Am I the only one who finds it hard to 'date' my husband? It never feels like a date. I don't know, maybe we need to try something different? It's not that we don't have fun or enjoy each other's company...we do. I guess part of it has to do with being parents. Even when we get the chance to go out without her, it feels like a piece of us is missing. I really want to get away for a weekend, just the two of us, but finding money and a babysitter is usually pretty tricky.
A shot I took outside during fireworks of my sister Melanie and Cora

No comments: